Jeff Radebe (born Jeffrey Thamsanqa) is a South African politician who was appointed as Minister of Energy on February 26, 2018. He was born on August 6, 1953.
Jeff served in the government of South Africa as Minister in the Presidency from 2014 – 2018. Before then, he was Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development from 2009 – 2014.
Jeff Radebe Profile
|Office||South African Minister in the Presidency|
|Children||Vukani Radebe |
Jeff Radebe Age
He was born on the 6th of August 1553 in Cato Manor, South Africa, as of 2019, Jeffrey Thamsanqa is aged 66 years old.
Jeff Radebe Education
Jeffrey studied towards a law degree at the University of Zululand. He finished an LLM in International Law at the Karl Marx University in Leipzig, Germany in 1981.
Jeff Radebe Wife
He is married to Bridgette Radebe, South Africa’s first black female mining entrepreneur.
Jeff Radebe Career
- He joined the African National Congress (ANC) as a student in 1976.
- Jeff was arrested in 1986 and was convicted under the Terrorism Act of the then Apartheid government.
- He was sentenced to 10-year imprisonment on Robben Island. After a successful 12-day hunger strike, Radebe was released from prison in 1990.
- In 1994 democratic elections, Radebe served as Minister of Public Works under Nelson Mandela.
- Minister of Public Enterprises (1999–2004) and Minister of Transport and Minister of Constitutional and Justice Development (2009 – 2014) under President Jacob Zuma.
- Minister in the Presidency Under Jacob Zuma (2014 – 2018) and Minister of energy (2018 – 2019) Under Cyril Ramaphosa.
- In 2007, Radebe was appointed acting Minister of Health due to the ongoing ill health of Health Minister.